MENU Call 02 9569 2122
  • like us on facebook

Store-Safe Products

Get free industry news and advice! Select your nearest state

  • Enter Word Verification
    Captcha Image
  • NSW Construction News
  • NSW Dangerous Goods News
  • Enter Word Verification
    Captcha Image
  • VIC Construction News
  • VIC Dangerous Goods News
  • Enter Word Verification
    Captcha Image
  • QLD Construction News
  • QLD Dangerous Goods News

Dangerous Goods Signage

  • No one logged in.

18-Mar-2011 04:31 PM

Not Available

Posts: 1

I'm looking to upgrade signage in the workplace, specifically Hazardous and Dangerous Goods signage. My question is, is it essential to have the "In Emergency Dial & Specialist Advice" information specified on the signs? I have seen a lot of example signs such as Hydrochloric Acid have all this content, yet have also seen Petroleum signage alot smaller in size and without that information. The signage is for storage in pump houses. Naturally im aware that the UN number, hazchem code and diamond are essentials, but what about the rest?

21-Mar-2011 12:43 PM

Not Available

Posts: 0

Hello Matt,

Sorry for the delay in your answer Barry or Dick will be with you shortly.

Grant Breeze

23-Mar-2011 02:40 PM

Barry Boné

Posts: 14

As well as the necessity to Notify WorkCover if you are storing dangerous goods there are other obligations with regard to Manifest and Placarding requirements. These requirements are set out in the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 2001, the OH&S Amendment (Dangerous Goods) Regulation 2005 (Schedule 6) and the Code of Practice for Dangerous Goods.

Appendix 3 of the Dangerous Goods Code of Practice shows the requirements for Placarding under Schedule 6 of the above OHS Regulations.

In the example depicted there is NOT a panel for the emergency phone numbers or specialist contact details. However, In AS1940-04, the Australian Standard for The Storage and Handling of Flammable and Combustible Liquids (and widely accepted as the industry “bible”) Section 3.8.2 outlines requirements for signage and in this case the Emergency Contact details are required.

If I had a large inventory investment in Dangerous Goods I would most certainly have a sign or series of signs which gave the necessary information and advice to the first response and emergency services personnel to assist them in protecting or saving my investment.

If smoke was billowing out of my factory I would want a passer by to ring 000. I would make it easy by providing that number as well as the number of my security firm who has a list of my specialist advisors who can be contacted quickly in an emergency. By giving this number to my security firm several phone calls can be made at once which cuts down on response times.

Barry Boné

01-Apr-2011 12:44 PM

Glen Head

Posts: 2

First of all thank you for your help. This is a question from a customer.

What class cabinet should this dangerous good be stored in ?  The product is Kathon (TM) 893F, on the Safety Data sheet is has Corrosive liquid, Toxic with Class 8 (6.1) and a UN-Number UN 2922  packing group II.